RAF Methwold was opened in September 1939 initially as a dispersal landing ground for RAF Feltwell. The airfield was for a number of years under the control of No.2 Group being used by its Ventura squadrons. Three runways were laid and T2 hangers erected bringing the airfield to a Class A Station. In August 1943 it become No.31 Base substation. No.218 Squadron arrived on August 8th 1944, already in situ was No.149 (East India) Squadron. The squadron undertook its first operation on the night of 9/10th August 1944 against the V1 site at Port-D’ Englos. Its last operation was a daylight against Oberhausen on December 4th 1944. During the squadrons time the station commander was Group Captain B C Yarde. No.218 Squadron departed on December 5th 1944. See photo’s of the station during a recent visit, here.