RAF Oakington (Pudit Code OA)

RAF Oakington

RAF Oakington circa 1945

RAF Station Oakington was built on a meadow 5 miles from Cambridge, it opened with a full station status on July 1st 1940. The battered remnant’s of 218 Squadron  arrived on July 17th from France. It was here under control of No.2 Group the squadron re-equipped with the Bristol Blenheim and participated, if but fleetingly during the Battle of Britain attacking barge concentrations and German occupied airfields. On November 25th 1940 the squadron departed both RAF Oakington and No.2 Group.

Advertisements