The spiritual home of the squadron and from where the crews fought a bitter and bloody campaign again Nazis Germany. Opened in the summer of 1942 this station was built to a class A specification as a satellite to RAF Marham. The main contractors were Messrs W & C French. The squadron was the first to operate from this airfield arriving on July 8th 1942. Joining 218 Squadron in August 1943 would be No.623 Squadron which was formed from the nucleus of 7 crews and 8 Stirlings from 218 Squadron. In October 1943 FIDO was installed to disperse fog, however the squadron time at this airfield was drawing to a conclusion. On March 7th 1944 the squadron departed Downham Market, it had been stationed at this Norfolk aerodrome for 21 months, the longest war-time stay at any station. In March the station was taken over by No.8 Group.