The station was opened in October 1927 of which the main contractor was John Laing & Sons Ltd. No.218 (Bomber) Squadron was formed here on March 16th 1936 from No.57 (Bomber) Squadron. These is some confusion from what flight the squadron was actually formed from. No.57 Squadron ORB (AIR27/537) states that 218 was formed by hiving off “C” Flight. This is at odds with No.218 Squadrons ORB (Air27/1347) and RAF Station Upper Heyford Station Records Book which both record that “A” Flight formed the nucleus of the new squadron. The squadron left Upper Heyford on April 24th 1938.